One of my Twitter followers recently asked an excellent question which I felt could not be answered in 140 characters. Actually, it has been something I have been meaning to blog about, but I just have not got around to writing it. So here is the question:
— Farhana Cannon (@iMediaExposure) March 19, 2012
While there are many things that can and should be done to increase the Twitter following of a company, I feel this one is the quickest, easiest, and most often over looked best tip missed by the majority of businesses.
The Money is IN the List!
If you have been around the web long enough, chances are that you have heard the phrase “The money is in the list”. Often, this is referring to the reasoning behind having a lead capture form on your website to stay connected via email with current and potential customers. Aside from using this list for emailing, did you know that you could use it to connect with your customers who are already on Twitter?
Sure, Twitter asks you when you create your account if you want to link up a Gmail, YahooMail, Hotmail or AOL account to find contacts, but let’s face it; your lead capture form is not tied to any of these services. Thus, all the leads you have been capturing on your website are still sitting in your lead management software.
So How Do We Get Our Newsletter Email List into Twitter?
- First things first, we need to export your email list into a CSV. Most autoresponders or lead capture software platforms allow you to download or export your leads. Simply follow the steps to export.
- Next, we need to import the CSV into either Gmail, YahooMail, Hotmail or AOL.
- Follow the steps in your chosen mail app to import a CSV list of contacts (Note: You may want to create a group to upload this list to for easy management).
- Finally, when logged into Twitter, go to https://twitter.com/#!/who_to_follow/import and choose the mail program you used to import the CSV list.
And BOOM goes the dynamite! You can now connect to users who are already on Twitter and INTERESTED in you or your business. Since they already know who you or your business are, chances are they will follow you back increasing your Twitter follower count. What better way to stay connected to people who have already bought or used your services?
Other Ways You Can Use This
If you don’t have a newsletter, don’t fret, there are other ways to find and import email addresses. Among other options are:
- Site Contact Forms – If your business has a generic contact form, chances are that the details are submitted to a CRM. Simply export these submissions to one of the email programs that work with Twitter.
- eCommerce Customers – Export your registered customer database and import the email addresses into one of the email programs listed above.
- Feedburner Email Subscriptions – Do you have thousands of email subscribers to your Feedburner feed? You can export your Feedburner Email Subscription list to CSV and easily import them as described above.
What other ways do you collect customer/client emails that could utilize this method? Share your thoughts in the comments!